Chocolate Caliente con Kahlua
Interested in a hot chocolate for grownups? This one is prepared with earthy Mexican chocolate and Kahlua, a coffee-flavored liqueur for a little extra warmth on a chilly evening. We first tried this drink at a gallery opening in San Miguel de Allende. They were serving it to the guests instead of the typical cheap white wine. A great decision in our book. We were told that it is very popular in San Luis Potosí. We don’t know if that is true but it is very popular with us.
How to Make
You will need 3 cups of milk, 1 Mexican chocolate tablet, 3 ounces of Kahlua, and 2 cinnamon sticks. To froth the chocolate you will need a wooden molinillo or a wire whisk. The recipe makes to two 12oz. cups but you can easily increase the recipe to serve at your next party.
The chocolate tablet contains piloncillo, a very rustic brown sugar, and cinnamon. If you have never tried Mexican chocolate, you should because it’s a real treat. The flavor is earthy and the texture is rustic.
Where to Buy
The most common Mexican chocolate brands are Abuelita and Ibarra brands. If you can’t find Mexican chocolate at your local supermarket, you can order artisanal chocolate made in Oaxaca through HERNÁN, specialists in premium Mexican food and kitchenware. (BUY)
Disclosure: Some of the links are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and purchase a product. We only recommend authentic products that we use ourselves and love.
Put the milk and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan and turn the heat to low.
When bubbles start appearing in the milk add the chocolate tablet.
Use the molinillo or wire whisk to froth the milk and dissolve the chocolate tablet.
Keep frothing until the chocolate has dissolved completely.
Add the Kahlua and froth for a few seconds.
Enjoy! You might be interested in our traditional Mexican hot chocolate recipe too.
Mexican Kahlua Hot Chocolate Recipe
Yield 2 12oz. cups
Mexican hot chocolate prepared with Kahlua, a coffee-flavored liqueur for a little extra warmth on a chilly evening. This is the grownup version of hot chocolate. The warm fuzzies in a cup.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablet Mexican chocolate (3oz.) BUY
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 ounces Kahlua or coffee liqueur
- Put the milk and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan and turn the heat to low. (Do not allow the milk to boil)
- When bubbles start appearing in the milk add the chocolate tablet.
- Use the molinillo or wire whisk to froth the milk and dissolve the chocolate tablet.
- Keep frothing until the chocolate has dissolved completely.
- Add the Kahlua and froth for a few seconds.
- Serve immediately.
- The prepared drink is a little bit coarse. Not all of the chocolate dissolves.
- Serve with whipped cream or marshmallows if you like.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 16 g
Sodium 147 mg
Total Carbohydrates 56 g
Sugars 59 g
Protein 14 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Get the latest recipes and news.