Agua de Melon or “melon water” is one of the many delicious aguas frescas served throughout Mexico. It’s a simple blend of ripe cantaloupe, or the melon of your choice, water, and sugar served chilled.
Aguas frescas are delicious, healthier alternatives to sodas.
How to Make
Start by gathering your ingredients:
- 1 quart water
- ½ very ripe cantaloupe or you favorite melon
- ½ cup sugar
Choosing the Melon
You want to choose very ripe melon for the sweetest most fruit forward drink. Ripe melons have a noticeable fruit aroma. They will also give when pressed gently with you thumb.
Slice the melon in half and scoop out the seeds. Reserve the other half of the melon.
Remove the rind and cut your melon into 1″ chunks.
Blend the melon with 1 quart of water, ½ cup of sugar, and serve over ice. You don’t need to strain the drink.
Preparation couldn’t be easier.
Which is your favorite agua fresca?
Agua de Melon Recipe
- Cutting board
- Kitchen knife
- Two 16 oz. glasses
- ½ cantaloupe or your favorite melon
- 32 ozs. water 1 quart
- ½ cup sugar
- Slice the melon in half and scoop out the seeds. Reserve the remaining half of the melon.
- Remove the rind and cut your melon into 1" chunks.
- Blend the melon with 1 quart of water, ½ cup of sugar, and serve over ice.
- Reduce the sugar to ¼ cup for a less sweet drink.
- Strain for a smoother drink.