Agua de Pepino con Hierbabuena
Cucumber, lime, and spearmint is a really refreshing combination for an agua fresca. At the university where I work, they make a different agua every day in the cafeteria. This is one of my favorites. The funny thing is, I don’t really care for cucumber but I love this drink. I think you will too.
The translation for agua fresca is “fresh Water.” In Spanish this particular drink is called agua de pepino, or you guessed it, “cucumber water.” When you see a drink called “agua de…,” it is always an agua fresca. “agua de piña” (pineapple), “agua de jamaica” (hibiscus), “agua de sandia” (watermelon). You see where this is going :)
How to Make Lime Spearmint Cucumber Water
This is a very simple drink to prepare. You need one medium cucumber, 8 Mexican limes, eight spearmint leaves a cup of sugar, and ½ gallon of water.
Peel the Cucumber and cut it into 4 chunks. Juice the limes. Add the cucumber, lime juice, mint, and 2 cups of water to your blender. Blend for 1 minute. Pour the mixture into a ½ gallon pitcher add the sugar and water to fill the pitcher. Stir well and serve lightly chilled.
Aguas frescas of all types are enjoyed throughout Mexico and typically served with the comida, or mid-day meal. They are are a good alternative to drinking sodas. You can reduce the sugar by half if you are watching your sugar intake. The drink is still tasty just a bit more tart. You can also omit the spearmint.
What is your favorite agua fresca?
Spearmint Lime Cucumber Water Recipe
- 1 medium cucumber
- 8 Mexican limes
- 8 spearmint or mint leaves
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ gallon water
- Peel the Cucumber and cut it into 4 chunks.
- Juice the limes.
- Add the cucumber, lime juice, mint, and 2 cups of water to your blender.
- Blend for 1 minute.
- Pour the mixture into a ½ gallon pitcher add the sugar and water to fill the pitcher.
- Stir well.
- Serve lightly chilled or over ice.
- Garnish with a spearmint leaf.
- Reduce the sugar by half if you prefer a tarter drink.
- Lime and cucumber without the mint is also a great combination.
- Pair it with the spicy tuna salad or cactus salad for a really great light lunch.
Thanks taste really good