Ensalada de Atun
This spicy tuna salad, called ensalada de atun in Spanish, is a tasty blend of tuna, avocado, vegetables, and serrano chile served on tostadas.
The avo and veggies are the stars; The serrano chiles and lime juice give it some kick; The tuna gives it flavor. You only need 15 minutes to prepare it and you probably have all of the ingredients on hand.
A Versatile Recipe
Tuna salad is popular throughout Mexico and every cook has her own personal version. This recipe is my personal favorite but it is very versatile.
Use it as a base to create your own tuna salad recipe. A few ideas: Omit the lettuce and add shredded carrot. Substitute parsley for the cilantro. Omit the chiles. Use lemon juice instead of lime juice. Add a pinch of black pepper. Replace the lettuce with spinach. Use your imagination. It is almost impossible to mess it up.
As they say in Mexico, provecho!
Spicy Tuna Salad
- 2 cans water packed tuna
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 Plum tomatoes diced
- 2 avocados cut into ¼" pieces
- 2 cups of lettuce cut into ¼" strips Any type of loose leaf lettuce works great. Iceberg lettuce works also.
- 2 serrano chiles minced
- 2 tsp. minced cilantro
- 2 tsp. mayonaise
- juice from 2 Mexican limes Key limes
- 12 tostadas
- Salt to taste
- Drain the tuna well.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl except the avocado. Gently mix until the ingredients are dispersed evenly.
- Salt to taste.
- Add the avocado to the salad and mix very gently until the avocado is dispersed evenly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to lightly chill the salad.
- Serve the tuna salad on tostadas.
- This salad is best eaten immediately although if you have some leftover it will keep in the refrigerator for a day.
- Use the mayonnaise sparingly. More isn’t better for this salad.
- Add only 1 serrano chile to reduce the heat.