Refreshing Guava Drink
Any drink made with fresh fruit and blended with water is known as an agua fresca or agua de fruta in Mexico. The literal translation of agua fresca is “fresh water” and the translation of agua de fruta is “fruit water.” The name of this drink is agua de guayaba which translates as “guava water.” It is delicious, refreshing and couldn’t be easier to make.
You Just Might Avoid a Cold
In Mexico, drinking agua de guayaba is recommended as a way to avoid a cold due to the high levels of vitamin C and other nutrients in the guavas. We drink it because it tastes great but if you are interested you can read the nutrition data for guavas.
Water, guavas, and sugar are the only ingredients. You can add a splash of lime juice which adds a nice tanginess to the drink. The recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of sugar although we add only about 1/4 cup of sugar because we prefer a slightly tarter taste.
The Whole Fruit
When you prepare agua de guayaba, you use the whole fruit. You don’t peel them or seed them. The drink will have a slightly gritty texture. If you don’t care for the texture you can always strain the drink. It will still taste great but you will lose some of the delicious fruit pulp which is high in fiber.
Blend the fruit for at least a minute to get it as smooth as possible. Strain if you prefer. We prefer the drink a bit on the pulpy side. Pour the mixture into a 1/2 gallon pitcher, add water and stir.
Agua de Guayaba
Yield 6 glasses
Recipe for agua de guayaba, a fresh fruit drink prepared with guavas typically served with the afternoon meal or "comida."
- 6 or 7 guavas
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 cups of water
- Rinse the guavas in fresh water
- Cut the guavas in half
- Place the cut guavas in your blender jar
- Add half the sugar
- Fill the blender jar with water
- Blend until smooth, about 1 minute
- Pour the mixture into a half gallon pitcher
- Add about 2 cups of water to fill the pitcher
- Taste and add the rest of the sugar to if necessary before serving
- The juice from 1 lime adds a nice tang to the drink.
- Served lightly chilled or over ice.
- The drink will separate in the refrigerator just give it a good stir before serving.
More Mexican Drinks (Aguas Frescas)
Get the latest recipes and news.