Agua de Sandia
Enjoy this watermelon agua fresca anytime you want a cool refreshing drink. Agua fresca translates as “fresh Water.” In Spanish this drink would be called agua de sandia, or you guessed it, “watermelon water.” Any time you see a drink is called “agua de…” it is a type of agua fresca. “Agua de piña” (pineapple), “agua de pepino” (cucumber), “agua de melon” (cantaloupe). You get the idea :)
Aguas frescas couldn’t be simpler to make. To make this one, blend watermelon and sugar with water and then serve lightly chilled. We like ours a little on the pulpy side. Reduce the quantity of watermelon if you prefer your agua a little thinner. Aguas of all types are enjoyed throughout Mexico and typically served with the comida, or mid-day meal.
Get the ripest watermelon that you can. Your drink will be so much sweeter and richer in flavor. Plus, make sure you remove all of the seeds before blending.
Watermelon Water Recipe
Yield 8 glasses
Cool and refreshing watermelon agua fresca, called agua de sandia. A perfect accompaniment to the comida, or mid-day meal and a much better option than soda.
- 1/8 medium watermelon. (To portion the watermelon, cut it in half lengthwise and then cut one of the quarters in half. Use 1 of the small pieces to prepare this drink.)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 gallon water
- 8 mint or spearmint leaves
- Cut the water melon into chunks and remove all the seeds.
- Place the cut up watermelon in the blender with 2 cups water and blend until smooth. (about 30 seconds)
- Pour the blended watermelon into a 1/2 gallon pitcher and add the cup of sugar.
- Stir vigorously until the sugar has dissolved.
- Serve lightly chilled or over ice.
- Garnish each glass with a mint leaf.
Reduce the quantity of sugar if you prefer a less sweet drink.
Serving Size 8 ozs
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Sodium 1 mg
Total Carbohydrates 30 g
Sugars 29 g
Protein 1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
More Mexican Drinks
Get the latest recipes and news.