A Quick, Simple, Delicious Soup
This is a great go-to dish for when your kitchen is nearly empty which happens to us more than we would care to admit. If you have two onions on hand you can make a surprisingly tasty Mexican style onion soup that serves four people.
This soup is typically served as part of a comida corrida, or meal of the day at a fonda, a family style place to go for quick, inexpensive meals.
How to Make
Simple Onion Soup
- 2 white onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon powdered chicken bouillon
- Black pepper
- Mexican oregano
- 2 ounces croutons
- Roughly chop the onions into short strips.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in your pan.
- Add the chopped onions to the pan with a pinch of black pepper.
- Cook the onions until they are translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add 1 quart of water to the pan.
- Add the teaspoon of powdered chicken bouillon.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Adjust the salt.
- Serve in individual bowls and garnish with a few croutons and a pinch of Mexican oregano.
- You can substitute yellow onions for the white onion. Simmer for an extra 10 minutes.
- You can substitute regular oregano for Mexican oregano.
- You may not have to add extra salt because powdered bouillons tend to be salty. Taste the soup just before serving and adjust the salt if necessary.
- The flavors blend nicely if you let the soup sit for 30 minutes. Heat to desired temperature before serving.
- It keeps well in the refrigerator for 3 days although we doubt you will have leftovers.
More Soup Recipes You Might Like
Authentic Salsa Recipes For You...
9 PRINTABLE MEXICAN SALSA RECIPES for FREE: Salsa verde, salsa roja, mole rojo, fresh avocado and more... INSTANT DOWNLOAD