Sopa de Hongos o Sopa de Champiñones
A simple mushroom soup prepared with epazote which gives it its uniquely Mexican taste. This is another recipe that our photographer Andres’ mother used to cook for him when he was a kid growing up in Cuernavaca. Real Mexican home cooking.
Gather Your Ingredients
You’ll need button mushrooms, white onion, garlic, epazote and chicken broth. Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth to make it a vegan / vegetarian soup.
How to Make
Start by removing the stems from the mushrooms then discard the stems.
Slice the mushroom caps into 3 pieces.
Heat the oil to medium hot and then add the sliced mushrooms.
Cook, stirring every 30 seconds until the mushrooms start to darken in color and start to release their liquid.
Add the blended onion and garlic and the remaining chicken broth.
Add the epazote and boil for 5 minutes then cover. Reduce the heat and cook for 10 more minutes.
There you have it, a healthy easy to make mushroom soup that comes from the heart of Mexico. Serve each bowl with a couple of lime halves.
Let us know how it turns out for you. We think you will love it. It will become a weekday favorite.
Mexican Mushroom Soup Recipe
Yield 4 servings
A quick and easy mushroom soup which gets its uniquely Mexican flavor from epazote, a pungent herb used in Mexican cooking. One of the many recipes that our photographer Andres' mother used to cook for him when he was a kid growing up in Cuernavaca.
- 2 lbs button mushrooms
- 1/4 large white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 small bunch epazote
- 4 limes
- Blend the onion and garlic with 1 cup of the chicken broth
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and then discard the stems
- Cup the mushroom caps into thirds
- Heat the oil over medium heat
- Add the chopped mushrooms
- Cook, stirring every 30 seconds until the mushrooms start to darken in color and start to release their liquid
- Add the blended onion and garlic and the remaining 3 cups of chicken broth
- Add 3 sprigs of epazote
- Cover the pot and boil for 5 minutes
- Reduce the heat and cook for 10 more minutes
- Serve with 1 or 2 slices of lime
- In Spanish the soup is called sopa de hongos o sopa de champiñon.
- For a vegetarian / vegan soup you can substitute water or vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- A very healthy soup with or without the chicken broth.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2 g
Sodium 900 mg
Total Carbohydrates 11 g
Sugars 7 g
Protein 8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.