Simple Onion Soup
An easy to make Mexican style onion soup prepared with just a few ingredients that you will almost always have on hand.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 bowls
- 2 white onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon powdered chicken bouillon
- Black pepper
- Mexican oregano
- 2 ounces croutons
Roughly chop the onions into short strips.
Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in your pan.
Add the chopped onions to the pan with a pinch of black pepper.
Cook the onions until they are translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add 1 quart of water to the pan.
Add the teaspoon of powdered chicken bouillon.
Simmer for 20 minutes.
Adjust the salt.
Serve in individual bowls and garnish with a few croutons and a pinch of Mexican oregano.
- You can substitute yellow onions for the white onion. Simmer for an extra 10 minutes.
- You can substitute regular oregano for Mexican oregano.
- You may not have to add extra salt because powdered bouillons tend to be salty. Taste the soup just before serving and adjust the salt if necessary.
- The flavors blend nicely if you let the soup sit for 30 minutes. Heat to desired temperature before serving.
- It keeps well in the refrigerator for 3 days although we doubt you will have leftovers.
Calories: 131kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 282mg | Potassium: 98mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 175IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 0.7mg