Salsa de Jitomate Asado
Any time you fire up your charcoal grill, you should make some salsa. Try this rustic grilled tomato salsa or salsa de jitomate asado. The rich smokey flavor is the perfect accompaniment for carne asada or grilled quesadillas or even just chips.
Grilling Develops Maximum Flavor
Blackening the tomatoes, onions and serrano chiles is the most important step when preparing this salsa. Hot coals are the key. Grilling vegetables until they are charred concentrates the flavors and adds a rich smokiness. The smoke from the charcoal permeates the vegetables.
Easy to Make
All of ingredients. Ready to be turned into salsa.
Add the ingredients to your blender with 3 tablespoons of water. Coarsely blend.
That’t it! The salsa is ready to use.
Grilled Tomato Salsa Recipe
Yield 8 servings
Rustic grilled tomato salsa or salsa de jitomate asado. The ingredients are charred on the grill which give the salsa a rich smokiness.
- 7 medium plum tomatoes
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 serrano chiles
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- Rinse the vegetables before grilling.
- Place the vegetables on a hot grill for about 15 minutes.
- Place all of the ingredients in your blender jar with 3 tablespoons of water and then blend for 30 seconds.
- Taste and adjust the salt.
- Use fewer plum tomatoes if your tomatoes are really large.
- Substitute green tomatoes for a change of pace.
- Use only 1 serrano chile if you prefer a milder salsa. They flavor will still be bold.
- Keeps in the refrigerator for 3 days although it's unlikely that it will last that long.
Other Salsa Recipes You Might Like
Get the latest recipes and news.