One of My Favorite Salsa Recipes
I want to share with you my favorite salsa recipe. It has great tomato flavor with the pop of cilantro and just right amount of heat from the serrano chiles. It goes well with chips, carne asada tacos, taquitos, eggs and just about any other dish that you like to add salsa to. You will find a variation of this salsa on tables throughout Mexico. It’s a classic and with good reason.
How to Make Mexican Salsa
Five ingredients are all you need for this quick and easy salsa recipe.
- Lime juice
Tomatoes are the most important ingredient. The fresher they are the better your salsa will taste. Look for the ripest ones you can find. Getting a good char on the vegetables is another key to developing the flavor. The lime juice brightens and enhances the flavor. The recipe calls for two serrano peppers but only add one if you want to reduce the heat.
Create Your Own Salsa
This recipe is a great starting point to develop your own Mexican salsa recipe. Adjust any or all of the ingredients to suit your tastes. Although this recipe calls for charring the chiles, you can also make it without charring them. Add more chiles for a spicier sauce or reduce the number for a milder version. Substituting jalapeño chiles for the serrano chiles will make a milder salsa too.
Homemade is Best
I encourage you to make your own salsas. It’s simple, takes little time and well worth the effort. Store-bought salsas just don’t compare. I think you’ll agree.
Mexican Salsa Recipe
Mexican salsa that goes well with chips, carne asada tacos, and eggs.
- 6 Roma tomatoes halved
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 2 serrano chiles whole
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 sprigs of cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Heat a large skillet or comal on high
- Place all of the vegetables except the cilantro in the pan or on the comal
- Allow the vegetables to char turning once
- Once the ingredients are well charred put them on a plate and allow them to cool
- Add all of the ingredients to the blender including the cilantro, lime juice, and salt
- Blend until all of the ingredients are just incorporated. Do not over blend
This is a vegetarian salsa.This is a vegan salsa.Don't use a skillet with a non-stick coating. Your salsa will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days. This salsa doesn't freeze well.
Serving Size 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
More Salsa Recipes
Get the latest recipes and news.