A Recipe Filled with Memories
Andrés our photographer used to eat these hard-boiled egg and rice tacos during recess when he was in middle school in Cuernavaca, Morelos. They are prepared with Mexican rice, chunks of hard-boiled egg, and topped with a sharp uncooked homemade salsa verde.
Students would buy them from a woman who came by the school every day with a basket full of ingredients to assemble the tacos. They were a quick, Inexpensive, and delicious snack for the hungry kids.
Most families keep rice, and salsas in the fridge ready to prepare a quick meal or snack. You would just need to make some hard-boiled eggs and food will be on the table in 15 minutes.
A recipe from Andrés’ elementary school years that you might like is this one for a scrambled egg torta with salsa verde.
How to Make
If you don’t already have some on hand, prepare your rice, salsa verde, and hard-boiled eggs first. The recipes for the rice and salsa are below.
These are the ingredients needed to prepare 8 tacos which will make a light meal for 4 people.
- 2 cups Mexican rice
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 8 corn tortillas
Assembling the Tacos
Preparing the tacos couldn’t be easier. Start by preheating the tortillas then spoon about 2 tablespoons of cooked rice onto each tortilla.
Then place 2 or 3 hard-boiled egg quarters on each.
Top with salsa verde.
Enjoy! These tacos are served at room temperature or slightly warmed.
Note: both of the recipes will make more than you need to prepare the tacos so you will have rice and salsa prepared in advance for other meals.
Mexican Red Rice Recipe
- 1 cup of rice
- 3 plum tomatoes Roma
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth preferably low sodium or water
- 1 tsp. salt + as needed
- Soak the rice in just enough water to cover for 10 minutes then drain and set aside.
- Blend the tomatoes and garlic with the 2 cups of chicken broth.
- In a pot, preheat 3 tbsp. of cooking oil to medium hot.
- Add the diced onions and carrots to the hot oil. Cook for 30 seconds without stirring.
- Add the rice and peas and stir to mix the ingredients.
- Lastly, add the blended tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 25 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Turn of the heat and let the rice rest for 10 minutes.
- Stir the rice and add salt if needed.
- Serve with your favorite dish.
Fresh Tomatillo Salsa Verde Recipe
- 1 lb. tomatillos
- 4 serrano chiles
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 tsp. salt + to taste
- Finely chop the onion and cilantro.
- Blend the tomatillos, serrano chiles, garlic, water, and salt until smooth.
- Pour the blended tomatillos into a serving bowl. Add the chopped onion and cilantro and stir.
- Adjust the salt as needed.