Arroz Mexicano o Arroz Rojo
Enjoy this rustic Mexican Red Rice also known as Spanish rice. It’s a great side dish for beef, chicken or enchiladas with a much bolder taste than plain white rice. It’s very easy to make and will become part of your regular dinner rotation.
Let’s Make Some Rice!
Gather the ingredients for your Mexican rice. You will need medium grain rice, plum tomatoes, white onion, frozen peas, a carrot, garlic, and chicken broth or water. You probably already have everything on hand.
Soak the rice in water for 10 minutes and then drain. Soaking the rice removes some of the excess starch to give you fluffier rice.
Blend the tomatoes and garlic with the chicken broth or water.
This is what the blended tomatoes will look like. Not too appealing, yet. It will turn a beautiful red after being cooked.
In a pot, preheat 3 tbsp. of cooking oil to medium hot. Add the diced onions and carrots to the hot oil. Cook for 30 seconds without stirring. Add the rice and peas and stir to mix the ingredients.
Add the blended tomatoes. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low.
Cook for 25 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Turn off the heat and let the rice rest for 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve. Looks good, doesn’t it?
Mexican Red Rice Recipe
Yield 4 servings
Rustic Mexican red rice made with plum tomatoes, onion, carrot and peas. An easy to prepare, delicious side dish for beef, chicken or enchiladas.
- 1 cup of rice
- 3 plum tomatoes (Roma)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth (preferably low sodium) or water
- 1 tsp. salt + as needed
- Soak the rice in just enough water to cover for 10 minutes then drain and set aside.
- Blend the tomatoes and garlic with the 2 cups of chicken broth.
- In a pot, preheat 3 tbsp. of cooking oil to medium hot.
- Add the diced onions and carrots to the hot oil. Cook for 30 seconds without stirring.
- Add the rice and peas and stir to mix the ingredients.
- Lastly, add the blended tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 25 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Turn of the heat and let the rice rest for 10 minutes.
- Stir the rice and add salt if needed.
- Serve with your favorite dish.
This dish is also known as Spanish rice.
Courses Side Dish
Serving Size 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1 g
Sodium 935 mg
Total Carbohydrates 29 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.