Mexican Beer Cocktail
There are many variations of the michelada, a Mexican beer cocktail. I prepare the classic old-school version with Carta Blanca beer which I first tried in Monterrey, N.L. in the early 90’s. A warm weather drink that is cold, crisp, salty, savory, with a citrus finish. The savory flavors come from from Worcestershire sauce and Maggi Sauce which sound like odd additions to beer but trust me on this one. It’s delicious.
A michelada is also known as a cerveza preparada. For authentic flavor, you must use Mexican lager beers which are light and crisp and always served ice-cold. In this classic version, the added ingredients enhance the beer but don’t overpower it.
You can find many michelada recipes that add a splash of hot sauce and chile powder to the rim of the glass. Micheladas prepared like this are good in their own way but for my tastes, I find that the flavor of the beer gets overpowered. And I love the taste of beer :) I don’t like to mess too much with a good thing.
How to Make
Enjoy my michelada recipe. Choose your favorite Mexican lager and gather the remaining ingredients. You can add or subtract ingredients to get it exactly to your tastes.
- Mexican Lager Beer, Ice-Cold (Choose 1 from the list.)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Maggi Sauce
- Ice cubes
- Carta Blanca (My personal favorite for making micheladas.)
- Dos Equis (XX)
- Modelo Especial
Prep Your Glass
Choose your glass: A Pilsner glass or Weizen glass are the best choices for preparing micheladas.
To begin, squeeze the juice of half a lime into a small bowl.
Then, dip the rim of the glass into the lime juice.
Lastly, dip the rim of the glass in the salt.
Now you are ready to prepare your drink!
Pour Your Drink
Step 1: Add ice to your beer glass.
Step 2: Add a few drops of Worcestershire sauce. It used sparingly so as not to overpower the flavor of the beer.
Step 3: Add a few drops of Maggi sauce. It is also used sparingly to allow the flavor of the beer to come through.
Step 4: Add the juice of 1/2 lime.
Step 5: Pour your beer into your glass.
Step 6: Enjoy! This is the best step :)
Beer is best enjoyed in the company of others. Who are you going to share one with?
Classic Michelada Recipe
- small cutting board
- small knife
- small low-sided bowl
- beer glass
- 1 bottle Mexican lager beer 12 oz.
- 5 drops Worcestershire sauce add or subtract to taste
- 5 drops Maggi sauce add or subtract to taste
- 1 tbsp. lime juice juice from about 1/2 a lime
- 2 tbsp. salt to frost the rim of the glass
- 3 ice cubes lg.
Prep Your Glass
- Squeeze the juice of half a lime into a small bowl.
- Then, dip the rim of the glass into the lime juice.
- Lastly, dip the rim of the glass in the salt.
Prepare Your Beer
- Add 3 ice cubes to your beer glass.
- Add a few drops of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add a few drops of Maggi sauce.
- Add the lime juice.
- Pour your beer into your glass.
- You can add splash of hot-sauce and dip the rim of your glass in chile powder. We like San Luis or Valentina brands of hot-sauce.