Huevo con Chorizo
Scrambled eggs with chorizo (spiced Mexican pork sausage) served with a stack of hot tortillas and a great salsa is a favorite breakfast throughout Mexico. You can have it on the table in under 30 minutes. Our salsa verde and restaurant salsa are perfect accompaniments.
How to Make
Start by gathering your ingredients: Mexican chorizo, eggs, tomato, white onion, and garlic.
First, remove the membrane from the chorizo. Discard the membrane.
Next, finely chop the onion, tomato, and garlic.
Preheat a large frying pan to medium hot. Add the cooking oil and the onion to the frying pan and cook for 1 minute.
Add the tomato and garlic.
Stir and cook for 1 minute.
Crumble the chorizo into the frying pan with the onion, tomato, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until most of the fat from the chorizo has cooked off.
Crack the eggs into a bowl and then beat with a fork for 30 seconds. Pour the beaten eggs into the chorizo, onion, tomato, garlic mixture. Let the eggs set for about 30 seconds then stir with a spoon.
Stir the eggs occasionally until the eggs are just cooked through. Don’t let the eggs brown.
Serve with a stack of hot corn or flour tortillas, refried beans and the salsa of your choice. If you are a fan of flour tortillas, try making the Coahuila style whole wheat tortillas.
Chorizo and Eggs Recipe
Yield 4 servings
Scrambled eggs with chorizo served with a stack of hot tortillas and a great salsa is a favorite breakfast throughout Mexico. It's really easy to prepare and you can have it on the table in under 30 minutes. We love it as a start to our Saturday or Sunday morning.
- 8 eggs
- 12 ounces Mexican chorizo
- 1 small white onion
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 12 to 16 corn or flour tortillas
- 2 cups refried beans
- 12 tortilla chips
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- Remove the membrane from the chorizo
- Finely chop the onion, tomato and garlic
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and beat with a fork for 30 seconds
- Preheat a large frying pan to medium
- Add the cooking oil and the onion to the frying pan and cook for 1 minute
- Add the tomato and garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute
- Crumble the chorizo into the frying pan. Cook for about 5 minutes until most of the fat from the chorizo has cooked off
- Pour the eggs into the chorizo, onion, tomato, garlic mixture. Let the eggs set for 1 minute then gently stir the mixture.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are just cooked
- While the eggs are still cooking, heat the tortillas on your griddle or comal
- Chorizo is a seasoned Mexican style pork sausage available in most supermarkets. It is spicy but not hot. Each brand has a different flavor. Try a few until you find your favorite.
- You can substitute Soyrizo, a soy protein based chorizo if you want to reduce the fat in the dish.
- If there is too much fat remaining after cooking the chorizo for about 5 minutes you can drain the fat before adding the eggs.
- Mexican chorizo needs to be fully cooked before eating.
- You can top your eggs with cheese if you'd like. Ranchero cheese is a good choice.
Serving Size 2 eggs
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 34 g
Sodium 956 mg
Total Carbohydrates 106 g
Sugars 7 g
Protein 45 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
More Mexican Breakfast Recipes
Get the latest recipes and news.