A Versatile Salsa
Try this very simple salsa made with guajillo chile, a mild dried chile with a complex fruity flavor. It is one of the most popular chiles in Mexico for making salsa. The chiles aren’t toasted like they are in many other salsa recipes which allows the flavor of the guajillo to come through. If you don’t like your salsa too hot this is a good one for you. It is full of flavor but with less burn. This a versatile salsa that goes well with many dishes. Try this guajillo chile sauce on tacos, enchiladas, chicken, scrambled eggs or on cactus salad.
- Cutting board
- Sauce pan
- Mixing bowl
- Kitchen spoon
Guajillo Chile Salsa Recipe
Try this very simple salsa recipe made with guajillo chile, a mild dried chile with a complex fruity flavor.
- 16 guajillo chiles
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Remove the stems, seeds and veins from the chiles. Discard.
- Peel the cloves of garlic.
- Chop the cilantro. You can use the stems.
- Put all the ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Add just enough water to cover the ingredients, about 4 cups.
- Bring the water to a boil then reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 1 minute then turn off the heat.
- Allow the ingredients to soak for 15 minutes. The dried chiles will reconstitute in this time.
- Pour all of the ingredients including the soaking water into the blender.
- Blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add a little water if needed to blend.
- Strain the mixture back into a bowl. Discard the paste that remains in the strainer.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in your saucepan over medium heat then add the strained salsa.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Simmer the salsa for 30 minutes until the it thickens. The salsa will darken in color during this time.
The flavor of the salsa will deepen if you let is rest for a few hours before serving.If you find the salsa to be too bitter for your tastes, add 1 tablespoon of sugar to reduce the bitterness.This salsa freezes well. Portion it in freezer bags and it will keep for up to 2 months in the freezer.