Arroz al Curry con Camarones
Are you interested in a fancy looking and fancy tasting dish without hours of fancy prep work? This Mexican curried rice and shrimp dish is what your are looking for. Big flavor and great presentation and easy enough for a weeknight meal. It will become one of your favorite go-to meals without a doubt.
Gather Your Ingredients
This dish is so simple to prepare. You really need very few ingredients: shrimp, rice, onion, garlic, curry and salt.
Devein the Shrimp
For the best presentation you will want to devein the shrimp before cooking. Rinse the shrimp well in cold water then devein the shrimp to get them ready for cooking. Use a sharp knife and split the shell down the back of the shrimp to expose the vein.
With the tip of the knife gently remove the vein and discard. You’re done. That was the most difficult part of preparing this dish.
Cooking the Shrimp and Rice
Let’s start building the flavor. In 3 tablespoons of cooking oil, fry the onion over medium heat for 1 minute.
Add the rice and stir for 1 minute. The rice will just be starting to brown.
Reduce the heat to low. Add the finely chopped garlic, shrimp, curry powder and 1 tsp. of salt. The shrimp are cooked in their shells which adds a lot of flavor.
Add 3 cups of water and stir gently to be sure the curry is evenly dispersed.
Cover the pan with aluminum foil or its lid.
Cook for 20 to 25 minutes until the rice has absorbed all of the cooking liquid. If the rice has absorbed all of the liquid but still isn’t fully cooked add water 4 tbsp. at a time as needed until the rice is fully cooked. Once the rice is cooked, take off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
What do you think? Looks good doesn’t it?
Serve and Enjoy
Serve the shrimp family style directly from the pan you cooked it in which looks beautiful on the table and makes serving a breeze.
- 1 pound shrimp in shell
- 1½ cups white rice
- ½ white onion
- 2 tbsp. yellow curry powder
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- DEVEINING THE SHRIMP
- Rinse the shrimp well under cold water
- With a sharp knife, split the shell of each shrimp down the back
- With the tip of your knife, gently remove the black vein from the shrimp and discard
- Chop the onion into small ¼ inch pieces
- Chop the onion finely
- Preheat the cooking oil in a wide pan over medium heat
- Add the onion to your pan and fry the for 1 minute
- Add the rice and fry for 1 munite stirring continually
- Add the garlic, shrimp, yellow curry powder and salt
- Add 3 cups of water
- Cover your pan and reduce the heat to low
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes until the rice has absorbed all of the cooking liquid
- If the rice isn't fully cooked after absorbing all of the liquid add more water 4 tablespoons at a time until the rice is fully cooked
- Once the rice is fully cooked, allow the dish to rest covered for 5 minutes
- Gently fluff the rice with a fork and serve in the cooking pan
You can used peeled shrimp for this dish if you don't care for shrimp in their shells.
For even more flavor you can substitute the 3 cups of cooking water for 3 cups of low salt chicken broth.