A Great Taco Filling or Tostada Topping
Chicken Tinga [pronounced teen-GA], a classic shredded chicken taco or tostada filling prepared with sliced onions and a tomato chipotle sauce is full-flavored crowd pleaser. It has a smoky flavor with just enough heat from the chipotle. Tinga is served throughout Mexico. There is also a beef version. This recipe is so good that you may want to make a double batch to keep in the freezer.
You can make chicken tacos with either corn tortillas or flour tortillas. My favorites are tacos made with corn tortillas but tacos made with flour tortillas are still excellent.
- 1 pound whole boneless chicken breast
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1¼ large white onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons canned chipotle
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- SHREDDED CHICKEN
- In a large sauce pan cover the chicken with an inch of water
- Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes
- Remove chicken from the cooking water. Save the broth
- Allow chicken to cool to the touch
- Finely shred the chicken. Yields approximately 4 cups
- CHIPOTLE TOMATO SAUCE
- Clean, seed and chop the tomatoes
- Add tomatoes to the blender jar
- Add 2 tablespoon canned chipotle to blender jar. Use 3 tablespoons if you prefer it spicier
- Add 1 clove of garlic to blender jar
- Add 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano to blender jar
- Add ¼ teaspoon black pepper to blender jar
- Add 1 cup of the reserved chicken broth
- Blend until smooth. About 1 minute
- Thinly slice 1 large white onion. Yields approximately 1½ cups
- Mince 2 cloves of garlic
- Heat your large frying pan over medium low heat and add 3 tablspoons of cooking oil
- Add the sliced onions to the pan. Cook until the onion starts to become translucent about 4 minutes. Do not allow the onion to brown
- Add the minced garlic to the pan cook for 1 more minute
- Turn the heat to medium and slowly pour the sauce into the pan with the onions and garlic
- Cook for 5 minutes. The sauce will start to reduce
- Turn the heat to low
- Add the shredded chicken to the pan and mix well with the sauce
- Cover the pan and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. During this time the sauce will reduce even more and coat the chicken and onion
- Salt to taste
- Serve as a taco or tostada filling
Chicken Tinga freezes very well.
Make a double batch and keep it on hand for when you need a quick meal.
Reheat in the microwave or in a sauce pan with a splash of water so that it doesn't stick.
Difficulty – Easy
Don’t be intimidated by what appears to be a great number of steps in the recipe. Preparation is divided into 3 simple parts: preparing the shredded chicken, making the sauce and assembling the dish.
- Cutting board
- Kitchen spoon
- Large sauce pan
- Large frying pan