Oven Roasted Tomatoes with the 1st Graders
The Mexican Food Journal visited the Waldorf Árbol de Vida school in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico at the invitation of Luis Perez, the head of the school’s Permaculture project.
Luis works with the students in the school’s garden and kitchen to teach them an appreciation of where food comes from and how it is prepared to instill a love of food that he hopes they will always carry with them.
Building New Classrooms
The Waldorf Árbol de Vida school is currently fundraising for the construction of new classrooms and is requesting donations. It’s a wonderful school. If you would like information about the project you can get it on their fundraising page. Donations of any size are greatly appreciated.
Cooking Oven Roasted Tomatoes with Requesón and Almonds with the Students
Jitomates Micaelicos al Horno
Luis has shared with us a simple recipe roast tomato recipe that he cooked with the first-grade students in the school’s outdoor adobe oven. It’s a versatile dish easily prepared at home. If you have kids, try it with them.
The ingredients for the dish.
Prepping the tomatoes.
Each student got to prepare a tomato.
Getting the tomatoes ready for the oven.
Take a look at the adobe oven. I would love to have this in my backyard.
Toasting the almonds.
Preparing the requesón topping.
Roasting the tomatoes.
Anticipation. Waiting for their creation to come out of the oven.
Serving the tomatoes.
Oven Roasted Tomatoes with Requesón and Almonds
Yield 16 servings
Recipe for oven roasted tomatoes with requesón and almonds shared with the Mexican Food Journal by Luis Perez, head of the Permaculture project at the Waldorf Árbol de Vida school in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. This is a simple recipe that he teaches to the younger students.
The recipe makes a party sized portion. Cut the measurements in half or even 1/4 to suit your needs. All of the measurements are approximate. Adjust them to your taste. It's a very flexible recipe.
- 3 lbs. plum tomatoes
- 1 lb. requesón cheese
- 1/2 lb. almonds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 2 tsp. salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the almonds on a dry baking sheet then toast them in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the almonds from the oven. Allow them to cool then roughly chop.
- Grease a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and place the tomatoes on the baking sheet. Drizzle tomatoes with olive and sprinkle with dried oregano and salt.
- Cook tomatoes for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven.
Requesón Almond Topping
Put the requesón and chopped almonds on a plate. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the fennel seeds. Mash with a fork.
Spoon a tablespoon of requesón topping on each tomato half. Serve the tomatoes warm not hot.
- Requesón is a Mexican cheese similar to ricotta.
- This is a good dish to serve as an appetizer for a party.
Courses Side dish
Serving Size 2 tomato halves
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 16 g
Sodium 89 mg
Total Carbohydrates 6 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
You might like:
Get the latest recipes and news.