Traditional Mexican Sopa de Fideo Recipe
Homemade sopa de fideo (Mexican noodle soup) - Noodles in a tomato chicken broth served with a squirt of lime. Mexican lunchtime comfort food in the way that grilled cheese and tomato soup is, warm fuzzies in a bowl. It's an easy and quick Mexican soup that you will make again and again.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 bowls
- 8- ounce package of “fideo” noodles
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 medium white onion
- 4 limes
- 1 ripe avocado optional for garnish
- 8 cups homemade chicken broth
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste about 1tsp. will be needed depending on the chicken broth you use
Cut the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds. Puree the tomatoes, onion and garlic and set aside.
Preheat 3 tbsp. of vegetable oil to medium hot. Add the noodles and stir to coat with oil. Continue stirring until the noodles have started to brown.
Strain the pureed tomatoes, onion and garlic into the noodles. Notice the color of the noodles. Some of them should be very brown. The browned noodles add depth of flavor to the soup.
Add the chicken broth and stir.
Bring the soup to a boil. Cover and reduce to low heat. Cook for 10 minutes.
Check the salt and adjust to taste before serving.
- You can use spaghetti broken into 1" pieces if you are unable to find "fideos"
- Substitute canned low- sodium chicken broth if you don't have homemade.
- You can also use vegetable broth if you want a vegetarian / vegan soup.
- You can make an even quicker version of this soup by using 1/2 cup tomato paste and 8 cups water instead of using the tomato and onion and chicken broth.
- You can 2 tablespoons of chopped avocado to each bowl as a nice touch.
Serving: 2cups | Calories: 469kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 17g | Sodium: 168mg | Sugar: 2g