Chilaquiles with Chicken in Salsa Verde Recipe
Traditional Mexican Chilaquiles is an all-time favorite breakfast dish. It's a mixture of corn tortilla chips and shredded chicken bathed in green salsa and topped with Mexican cream, ranchero cheese, and thinly sliced red onion.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 5 cups corn tortilla chips totopos
- 3 cups salsa verde or salsa roja
- 1 1/3 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup Mexican cream or sour cream
- 1/2 small red onion
- 4 ounces ranchero cheese or queso fresco
Preparing the Shredded Chicken
Place one chicken breast in a small sauce pan and cover with water. Turn the heat to medium low and cook the chicken breast for 15 minutes or until fully cooked.
Remove the chicken breast from the cooking water and allow to cool.
As soon as it is cool to the touch use your fingers to pull the chicken apart into thin 1" long pieces.
Preparing the Chilaquiles
In a large wide pan, bring the salsa to a boil then immediately reduce the heat to low.
Add the tortilla chips and stir to coat with salsa.
Add the shredded chicken and stir to coat with salsa.
Divide the chilaquiles into four portions.
Top each serving with 2 tablespoons of Mexican cream or sour cream, 1 ounce of crumbled ranchero cheese and 3 thinly sliced onion rings.
Serve immediately. Don’t let the chilaquiles sit or the will get soggy.
- If you buy corn chips to make chilaquiles look for the unsalted ones. They are the better choice. You can use salted chips if the unsalted are unavailable. You can find them in the Hispanic section of the supermarket. Look for "totopos."
- You can also prepare chilaquiles topped with scrambled eggs or fried eggs.
- It is common to serve chilaquiles with refried beans on the side.
- We don't recommend that you save chilaquiles for later. There's a good chance that you won't have any left because they are so tasty. When you store them in the fridge they get soggy and mushy and the texture is kind of unappealing.
Serving: 1.5 cups | Calories: 554kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 34g | Sodium: 952mg