Shredded Beef Tacos Recipe
Authentic taquería style shredded beef tacos on corn tortillas garnished with finely chopped onion, cilantro, lime juice and salsa verde or your favorite homemade salsa.
Cook Time1 hr 20 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 12 tacos
- 1 1/4 lb of skirt steak
- 1 large white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 12 sprigs cilantro
- 12 to 16 small tortillas taqueria size
- 2 cups of your favorite salsa We like salsa verde
Place the beef, 1/2 onion, and garlic in a pot. Cover with 1" of water.
Bring the water to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 1 hour. The meat is ready when you can pull the meat apart with your fingers.
Cut the meat into 2” to 3 “ strips. Then use your fingers to pull the meat apart into thin strips.
Heat 2 tbsp. of cooking oil in a large frying pan then add the shredded beef to the hot oil. Stir the beef and fry for 2 minutes until the beef is just starting to brown.
Add 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce and 1 /4 cup of the beef cooking broth and stir. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the liquid has just evaporated.
Remove the stem from the cilantro and discard. Very finely chop the cilantro.
Very finely chop the remaining 1/2 white onion.
Cut the limes into quarters.
Heat the tortillas on a comal or griddle.
Place 2 tbsp. shredded beef on each tortilla.
Top with a sprinkle of chopped onion, cilantro, a squirt of lime and a spoonful of your favorite salsa.
- You can substitute Maggi sauce for the Worcestshiresauce sauce.
- You can use flour tortillas instead of corn.
- The meat will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator and 2 months in the freezer.
- If you make a double batch, you can freeze half for later use. The shredded beef freezes well.
Calories: 496kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 17g | Sodium: 998mg | Sugar: 5g