Tacos de Pescado con Pico de Gallo
Enjoy these easy pan-fried fish tacos with pico de gallo salsa. They are similar to Baja style fish tacos except the fish is lightly floured and pan fried instead of battered and deep fried and the taste of the fish is more delicate.
Gather Your Ingredients
You will need 1 1/4 lb. of a mild white fish, a head of romaine lettuce, corn or flour tortillas, flour, paprika, black pepper, and salt to make these easy fish tacos.
Preparing the Fish
Start by mixing the flour, black pepper, paprika, and salt in a mixing bowl.
Cut the fish into 2″ to 3″ inch pieces.
Cover the fish with the flour mixture.
Set the floured fish aside while you heat the oil to cook it.
In a large frying pan, heat the 2 cups of oil to medium hot. Cook the fish for about 3 minutes per side until it is golden on the outside and just cooked on the inside.
Set the fish aside on a paper towel covered plate to remove the excess oil.
While the fish is draining, heat the corn or flour tortillas in a dry frying pan or on a comal.
Pico de Gallo
Pico de gallo is a simple salsa made with raw chopped tomato, onion, jalapeño or serrano chile and cilantro. It goes great with these fish tacos.
Gather your ingredients for your pico de gallo. The fresher the ingredients the better.
Chop the ingredients. The tomato is cut into 1/4″ pieces after removing the seeds and pulp. The onion is cut into 1/8″ pieces. The jalapeño is chopped finely after removing the seeds and veins. The cilantro is chopped finely too.
Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl with the juice from 1 lime. Set aside while you prepare the fish.
On each tortilla, place 1 leaf of lettuce, 1 or 2 pieces of cooked fish. Top with a spoonful of pico de gallo and serve with a halved lime on the side. Add a pinch of salt to each taco if you’d like.
Fish Tacos with Pico de Gallo
Pico de Gallo
- 2 medium tomatoes or 3 plum tomatoes
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 jalapeño chile
- 6 sprigs of cilantro
- 5 limes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 lb. mild white fish we used tilapia for this recipe
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups cooking oil
Pico de Gallo
- Cut the tomato in quarters. Remove the seeds and pulp and discard.
- Cut the tomato quarters in 1/4” pieces.
- Cut the onion into 1/4” pieces.
- Cut the stem off the jalapeño then cut the jalapeño into quarters. Remove the seeds and veins.
- Finely chop the jalapeño.
- Finely chop the cilantro.
- Place all the chopped ingredients into a bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and squeeze the juice of the lime over the ingredients.
- Mix with a spoon until all of the ingredients are evenly dispersed.
- Set aside while you prepare the fish tacos.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, black pepper, paprika, and salt. Mix well.
- Rinse and dry the 8 leaves of romaine lettuce.
- Cut the fish into 2” to 3" pieces.
- Coat the pieces of fish in the flour mixture and set aside.
- In a large frying pan heat the cooking oil to medium hot.
- Fry the fish for about 3 minutes per side.
- Place the cooked fish on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Heat the tortillas in a frying pan or comal.
- On each tortilla, place 1 leaf of lettuce, 1 or 2 pieces of cooked fish.
- Top with a spoonful of pico de gallo and serve with a halved lime on the side.
More Mexican Fish Recipes