Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde Recipe
Yield 4 servings
Authentic shredded chicken enchiladas in homemade salsa verde garnished with Mexican cream, ranchero cheese and thinly sliced red onion rings. Easy to make and delicious.
- 16 ounces boneless chicken breast
- 4 cups salsa verde
- 16 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup Mexican cream (crema)
- 3 ozs. ranchero cheese or queso fresco
- 1 small red onion
- 1 cup cooking oil
- PREPARING THE SALSA
- Prepare the salsa verde according to this Salsa Verde Recipe.
- COOKING THE CHICKEN
- Place the chicken breasts in a pot and just cover with water. Cook over low heat until the chicken breasts are just cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Allow the chicken to cool and then shred it by hand.
- FRYING THE TORTILLAS
- Preheat to very hot 2 cups of cooking oil.
- Fry the tortillas individually in the hot oil for about 10 seconds per side.
- Place fried tortillas on a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess oil from the tortillas.
- ROLLING THE ENCHILADAS
- To roll enchiladas start by placing a fried tortilla in the center of a baking tray.
- Add 1 tbsp. of shredded chicken across the tortilla.
- With your fingers, roll the tortilla into a tight tube.
- Do this with all 16 tortillas.
- PLATING AND SERVING
- Place 4 enchiladas on each serving plate.
- Spoon 3/4 to 1 cup of salsa verde down the center of the enchiladas.
- Then spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of Mexican cream across the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle the enchiladas with 1/2oz. to 3/4oz. of crumbled ranchero cheese.
- Garnish with 3 thinly sliced red onion rings.
These are no-bake enchiladas.
- You can substitute sour cream for the crema called for in the recipe.
- You can substitute white onion for the red onion.
- You can also prepare them with salsa roja instead of salsa verde.
Recipe by Mexican Food Journal at https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/chicken-enchiladas-salsa-verde/