Sopa de Calabacita y Zanahoria
This carrot and zucchini soup has it all. First, it’s delicious, always the most important consideration. Second, it’s healthy. And third, it’s incredibly easy to prepare. Just follow the visual recipe. The full printable recipe is at the end of the post.
There is nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a cold day. This soup is a great light lunch or starter for the comida, the large meal of the day served around 2:00pm. It’s a good choice is you are looking for a vegetarian option.
How to Prepare
Start by collecting your ingredients: 2 medium zucchinis, 2 large carrots, 1 cup of tomato puré, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
Next, shared the carrots and zucchini. A box grater does the job in a few seconds.
Heat a soup pot over medium heat then add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
Add the shredded vegetables to the pot and sauté for 2 minutes. Don’t brown the vegetables.
Add the tomato puré after you have sautéed the vegetables. Add the black pepper too.
Mix in the tomato puré.
Add 1 quart of water and bring to a boil. The water should cover the vegetables by about 1/2″. If it doesn’t add just enough water until it does.
Ready to eat. :)
Serve with a nice piece of hearty bread or with warm corn tortillas.
Let us know what you think of this recipe.
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 large carrots
- 1 cup tomato puré
- 1 quart water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Peel the carrots
- Shred the carrots and the zucchini
- Heat you pot over medium heat
- Add the 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Add the shredded vegetables to your pot
- Sauté the vegetables for 2 minutes
- Add the tomato puré and black pepper. Stir to mix with the vegetables
- Add 1 quart of water, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer
- Simmer the soup for 10 minutes until the carrots and zucchini are just cooked through and the broth has slightly reduced
- Serve with bread or corn tortillas
Mince ½ of a serrano chile and add to the vegetables when you sauté them to add some spice to the soup.