Sopa de Frijol Negro
Bean soups are served throughout Mexico. Try this recipe for a rich comforting black bean soup, called sopa de frijol negro. It is simple to prepare and you get great results with canned beans. The results are even better with home-cooked beans. (How to Cook Beans.)
You can make this soup vegan by omitting the cream and cheese when you serve it. If you want a spicy soup add one Serrano chile to the recipe. It will add kick but won’t overpower the soup.
Black Bean Soup Recipe
A quick delicious Mexican black bean soup.
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- 2 Roma tomotoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 serrano chile (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- Tortilla strips
- 6 tablespoons Mexican cream
- 1 avocado cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 6 ounces of "queso fresco," a young white Mexican cheese
- Roast the tomatoes, onion and garlic until they are blackened. You can do this under the broiler or in a pan on the stove.
- Blend the roasted vegetables, cumin and oregano until smooth. (Add a little water if necessary to blend)
- Next, blend the black beans with the vegetable mixture until very smooth. (Add 1 cup of water to blend, add more if necessary)
- Place the blended soup in a pan on the stove.
- Simmer the soup for one hour. (Add water if necessary so that it doesn’t become too thick.)
- Salt to taste.
- To serve, divide the soup into 6 bowls.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with the tortilla strips, 1 tablespoon of Mexican cream, 1 ounce of cubed queso fresco cheese, and the cubed avocado.
If you use canned beans, be sure to rinse them well to remove the excess salt.You can substitute mozzarella for the "queso fresco."The soup will keep 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator.