In Northern Mexico, beef is king and one of the most popular cuts is arrachera. It’s a beefy tasting cut best cooked quickly over high heat. Perfect for when you need great tacos and fast. When you make these tacos the secret is salt and salsa. You want to salt the meat well and choose a bold salsa.
How to Prepare
Gather your ingredients. You only need 2 lbs. of arrachera, 12 corn tortillas and salt for the tacos. You will need 1 bunch of spring onions for the garnish.
Slice the meat into 3/4″ wide strips that are about 3″ long. The strips may look a little wide but they will shrink during cooking.
Preheat a thick bottomed pan to hot. Add 1 tbsp. of cooking oil and then place the meat in the pan and salt well.
The meat will give off a lot of liquid while cooking.
When the liquid has evaporated and the meat is nicely browned. It is ready to serve.
Place a 2 or 3 strips of the cooked meat on a warm tortilla and serve with your favorite salsa, charred spring onions and sliced limes. We served our tacos with this fresh tomatillo salsa verde, a hot tangy salsa that stands up to the bold flavor of the beef.
Arrachera (Skirt Steak) Tacos Recipe
Yield 12 tacos
Arrachera (skirt steak) tacos served with a fresh tomatillo verde salsa and charred spring onions on corn tortillas, just like they serve in Northern Mexico. An easy taco recipe you can have ready fast.
- 2 lbs. arrachera (skirt steak)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 bunch of spring onions.
- 2 cups of your favorite salsa - We recommend this fresh salsa verde.
- 8 limes
Cooking the Onions
- Preheat a dry heavy bottomed pan to medium hot and place the spring onions in the pan.
- When the onions have browned well on one side turn. Repeat until the onions are browned on all sides.
- Set aside while you cook the meat.
Cooking the Arrachera
- Slice the meat into 3/4" wide strips that are about 3" long.
- Preheat a thick bottomed pan to hot. Add 1 tbsp. of cooking oil and then place the meat in the pan and salt well.
- The meat will give off a lot of liquid while cooking. Turn once a minute.
- When the liquid has evaporated and the meat is nicely browned. It is ready to serve.
- Place a 2 or 3 strips of the cooked meat on a warm tortilla and serve with your favorite salsa, charred spring onions and sliced limes.
They salsa we used for this recipe already includes onion and cilantro. If you use a different salsa, you can top with some finely chopped onion and cilantro which is a tasty addition.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 16 g
Sodium 906 mg
Total Carbohydrates 39 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 44 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.